Monday, February 4, 2013

Guest Writer: Bill Recaps his 32nd Birthday

This Thursday, I turned 32 - a number that doesn't really feel like my age, but that's ok because Meg pulled out all the stops for my birthday, making it feel like I was celebrating age 10 again.


After getting home very late from work and the gym on Thursday, I was greeted with this at the front door:




In addition to the beautiful red dress and the birthday artwork on the chalkboard, Megan had made some of my favorite foods for dinner.







Asian turkey meatballs, spicy chicken soup, and vinegar rice with peas and carrots. Yum!

Since we weren't left with much time on Thursday, Megan insisted on an extended Saturday celebration.
So after breakfast Saturday morning, she finally filled me in on our plans:
She had put together a James Bond-themed day!! - again, as if I was a 10 year old boy (which I undoubtedly am).

After playing a little of this...



.... she told me that today I was a double agent and to prep myself for my mission, Q had equipped me with some necessary accoutrements. Here are the presents she laid out:






"The Gadgets" box contained a new pair of tech-finger gloves and a cool collapsible water bottle.

"The Weapons" box contained an awesome pocket knife that my twin brother had suggested. 





"The Attire" box contained a new bow tie.


"The Drink" box contained one of my favorite bourbons, bitters and a ginger liquor that all went together for a new take on an Old Fashioned.






And "The Car" box contained a picture of a Shelby 427 Cobra.  Megan had found a place in NJ that is going to let me rent one for an hour.  I can't wait for the weather to be nice enough...



If that weren't enough, she devised a schedule of activities for us to partake in during the day, stating that first things first, I had to look the part. I figured the knife and a bow tie were probably enough but she reserved me a haircut, straight razor shave and massage at a local men's salon!

I nixed some of the Bond-themed activities for some of my personal favorites, like watching our new favorite show, Archer, and eating an awesome Boar's Head sandwich, but we ended up finishing the day with a meal at our favorite restaurant, Doma, the sushi place that we rave about constantly.

To add to all of that, my sister got me a fantastic multi-tool and Meg's parents got me these great, retro patches, one of them being one of her dad's old ones! Can you tell which one?



In the end, I have to say, it feels pretty good to be 32.


No comments:

Post a Comment