Friday, November 4, 2011

886 Miles I've Roamed...

To make this city my home...

Two years ago I moved from St. Louis to Philadelphia, an 886 mile journey. I grew up in small-town Illinois, thirty minutes from downtown St. Louis, MO, only moving to go to college in Champaign-Urbana two and a half hours north of my hometown. So when I decided to move cross-country to Philadelphia for graduate school, I left behind everything familiar, including my parents.

Two years later, I'm in love with my new city. Philadelphia has more to offer than the Fresh Prince and cheese steaks  Immediately, I fell in love with this city's walk-ability and its world-class restaurant scene. I also fell in love with my neighbor. After 6 months of living down the street from one another, on New Year's Eve 2010, I met the love of my life. Though I recently graduated with my M.Ed., I don't plan on leaving this city. I'm tied here by my partner, Bill, a wonderful city, and a happy life.

But that means there's 886 miles between me and my family. Bill is separated by his family in Northern Jersey and Boston as well, a distance that makes it hard to share our lives with both sides of the family. This blog is way of sharing our lives with the people we love, no matter the distance.


(Bill and I at Lehigh Gap near Allentown, PA) 



No comments:

Post a Comment