Sunday, January 8, 2012

A hike in the woods

Last weekend (yeah, my blogging rate is a little slow), Bill and I went out to Valley Forge for a hike. Bill works not far away and wanted to check out the trails for mountain biking so I tagged along.

All and all, the hike was pretty lame. We should have guessed that when we saw two-year-olds and a woman wearing high-heeled boots and carrying a purse on the trail. However, it did prove a fun photo op.









While there wasn't any snow, the whole wintery silence of the terrain reminded me of the Robert Frost poem my mom used to recite to me... 

Whose woods these are I think I know
His house is in the village though
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment