Thursday, March 1, 2012

Leap Day Celebration???

Yeah, that's right, the lady who likes to throw a party for everything threw a little one for 2012's extra day. It was just Bill and I and we didn't really do anything too out of the ordinary, but calling it a "celebration" sure does amp up the excitement factor.

So what did we do exactly to give thanks for 24 extra hours of weekday, winter bliss? Well, for starters, we pretended it wasn't a weekday or winter and went Mexican-summer style. Every summer I want to throw a tacos and margarita get-together and it just never happens. So, while it was just Bill and I getting together, we did just that. I also always forget to celebrate Frida Kahlo's birthday each year so we attempted that as well on this special, extra day by watching Salma Hayek play her in Frida.




Tacos were topped with an avocado, tomato, cilantro, lime and pineapple mixture (Ok, that's pretty much just pineapple guac). 


Cooking up the cod with cilantro and lime juice


The finished product: fish tacos on corn tortillas with pineapple guac, fake cheese and pickled-pink onions. It was totally gluten and dairy free! 


Less healthy were the margaritas - which will always and forever remind me of this, and my mother of course,  who is in love with margaritas. 




Making them just like my mother taught me - a lot of lime juice and even more salt. 



They weren't amazing, but they were pretty tasty. Tasty enough for me to down about six of them while watching the movie. Luckily, there wasn't too much alcohol in them. I wasn't "celebrating" that hard. 



Did anyone else do something special for their extra day? Or was I the only crazy one?


No comments:

Post a Comment