Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patty's Day... Subdued

Happy St. Patrick's Day... the day I like to stay indoors. People get a little crazy on this international drinking holiday and Bill and I prefer to stay as far away from bars and major roadways as possible. It just so happens that we are going to a wedding today instead so we'll be around drinkers for another reason.

Don't get me wrong, I love St. Patty's Day. Its a celebration of Ireland and I love Ireland. So here's my advice on ways to celebrate this Irish holiday without wearing a green jersey and taking on a beer bar-crawl.



Reading from left to right... 


1. Keep decorating simple. I love this hand-blown vase from Pine and Main for $32.

2. I love the idea of wearing green on St. Patty's Day, but most people go a little over-the-top. Try this woven blouse from Forever 21 for $20.

3. Watch The Quiet Man! Its a St. Patrick's Day classic with some pretty funny moments like, "Here's a stick to beat the lovely lady with." That probably shouldn't be funny to a former Gender Studies major, but you just have to see it.

4. Gifting on St. Patty's Day isn't really expected unless handing someone a beer counts. But I love the idea of giving a little green Spring like these potted daffodils. (Bill actually bought me a potted daffodil that is currently growing leaps and bounds!)

5. Its true the Irish like to drink. But green beer isn't the limits to celebrating with liquor. I love this
"The Brotherhood" cocktail made from Irish whiskey and citrus.

6. What holiday isn't about food? If you are going to drink till your face falls off, you might as well do it like the Irish pros do: with a belly full of liquor-soaking-up comfort food like this beef stew.

7. I realize floral blouses don't really help the gendered males out there so this bow-tie from Forage might do the trick. I know what you are thinking: "Bow ties?! Really? This is a snobby website". But I think on St. Patrick's Day you want to look as much like Michaeleen Oge Flynn as possible.

8. If you are like us and prefer stay away from the green-drenched, drunken masses today, then you'll enjoy the latest episode of 30 Rock .

9. While today its actually gorgeous out and without a cloud in the sky on the East Coast, I can't help but think of rain on St. Patty's Day. I'd love to stomp around in these on the holiday, and then come home, eat that Irish stew, and drink that cocktail while watching The Quiet Man.


Have any St. Patty's Day plans, beer or not?


No comments:

Post a Comment